Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are an excellent source of cheap protein. Pair them with basil from your garden and sweet grape tomatoes when in-season, and you’ve got a frugal salad that’s also really healthy. I found these tomatoes at my ALDI store for just $.79 this week (view more recently posted Grocery Bargains). You could also easily add rotini to this to make it a pasta salad.
Frugal Tips: To save money, buy dried chickpeas and soak overnight. Beans can even be soaked and frozen for later.
- 1 carton of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 25 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the vinegars, oils, honey and salt and pepper. Drizzle over the chickpeas, basil, and tomatoes. I put mine in a plastic container and give a good shake. Chill a few hours or overnight.
Thanks for the inspiration, Green Lite Bites!