I picked up these cute little Fillo Cups at Cub Food recently, not quite sure what to make with them. I knew I wanted to make a dessert. And that I had cream cheese, heavy cream and ricotta already in the fridge. Basically, I landed on this recipe in an effort to use up what I already had.
The nice thing about Fillo cups is their flexibility. You can put just about any filling inside them and they’ll look elegant, which makes them great for parties or special dinners at home. I made these to go with my Italian-themed dinner for Scott the other night. We had a wonderful braised beef as our first course and these little cuties as dessert.
Frugal Tips: Use up what’s in your refrigerator! If you’re like most families, you’re throwing hundreds of dollars in food away each year. If you can’t use you what you have by its expiration date, freeze it for later use.
- ½ of a 15-oz. container ricotta cheese, strained (I used a coffee filter to strain it)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 C. confectioners’ sugar
- ½ C. heavy cream
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- Whip ingredients in a mixer until well blended.
- Pipe the filling into the fillo cups with a pastry bag
- Top with a raspberry, blackberry, or piece of chocolate – get creative!