Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
My kids love macaroni and cheese. It’s comfort food at its best. As a mom, I get really tired of the blue boxes and crave the good stuff. I’ve been experimenting with different variations in search of the best ever macaroni and cheese recipe. I think I’ve finally hit the nail on the head. In this version, the sauce is based on Mommysavers Copycat Version of Beecher’s World’s Best Mac and Cheese Recipe. I also add tiny bits of Spam, ham or bacon bits for an extra pop of flavor. However, that’s totally optional. It tastes great all by itself.
- 1 1-lb. box elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 C. + 1 C. sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ C. grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×11 casserole pan (or cake pan if you don’t have a glass casserole dish). Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until melted. Next, whisk in the flour. Continue whisking and cooking for 2 minutes until butter/flour mixture turns light golden brown. Slowly add the milk. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Add 3 C. Cheddar cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese, salt, chile powder and garlic powder. Stir until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Blend cheese and elbow noodles and place in a greased 9×11 casserole dish. Top with additional Cheddar cheese and bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.